[DeTomaso] MANGUSTA ZF FLUID / Dick Ruzzin

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Fri Sep 11 15:36:47 EDT 2009

In a message dated 9/11/09 9:08:57 AM, gaino at earthlink.net writes:

> I have a dash1 in 1362. It has a dipstick on the driver side. It also
> drips a little at each output shaft. I just keep it full on the stick, and
> refill it to that level when I change fluid. Is the dipstick unusual?

There are two types of dipsticks and unless someone adds one (as I did),
they are only on really early Panteras and most Mangustas. One stick enters
the gearcase thru a drilling at the far-right back end, while the other enters
thru a right-angle fitting in the 'normal' Pantera (Is that an appropriate
word for DeTomasos?) fill plug location on the lower left. Since they are
much different lengths, whether they measure the same liquid level is a
question for Lloyd Butfoy (as are all previous posts on this subject IMHO). Your
small leak(s) are likely only a bad seal which is easily changed once the box
is out. The seal is a std size available everywhere but the side-plate
gasket is not. Using a non-stock side plate gasket can change the preload on the
tapered diff bearings, but with some care, the OEM gasket will be
re-useable. FWIW- J Deryke