[DeTomaso] MANGUSTA ZF FLUID / Dick Ruzzin

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Fri Sep 11 03:49:32 EDT 2009

In a message dated 9/11/09 0 40 20, guson at home.se writes:

> Jack provided me with exploded view parts drawings for the dash-1 in the
> same style as the ZF manual so maybe there is a dash-1 manual out there
> like the one we're used to seeing but so far I haven't seen it.

In the past few days I have heard repeated references to the Dash-1 manual
from people who actually own it.   Apparently the gearbox in the manual is
oriented in the GT40/Mangusta style, as opposed to the later Pantera style.

The early Panteras came with Dash-1 transaxles; for the most part, these
were Mangusta transaxles that De Tomaso already had sitting on the shelf, that
were returned to ZF in Germany, and modified for use in the Pantera until
the new Dash-2 units were ready for production.  They were done in different
series, small batches of 30 here, 40 there, each of which had slight detail
differences, different part numbers, different internal gear ratios etc.
Although the Ford parts book only lists a handful of varients, I have a stack
of internal memorandums between Ford, ZF and De Tomaso in which the details
of the program are spelled out; some gearbox varients were made in
quantities of less than 10 units at first...