[DeTomaso] MANGUSTA ZF FLUID VOLUME / Dick Ruzzin

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu Sep 10 23:23:12 EDT 2009

In a message dated 9/10/09 19 48 6, dickruzzindesign at aol.com writes:

> J,
> That number as it was printed is wrong, or the second half is, so do not
> use it.
> This is how it is printed, 2.1 liters is 3.5 pints.
>
> A conversion to quarts shows that 2.1 liters is 4.44 pints.

The book is actually right on both counts--and you can blame the damn
Brits!

After they came up with a perfectly good system of measurement in medieval
days, based on hard, fast, rigid standards like the length of a king's foot,
etc., and we adopted it, they up and went and changed everything on us.

Remember that the Brits conjured up this notion of the "Imperial gallon"
after we here in the USA had been happily using their old gallon for
years--they threw that curve ball at us in 1824.

(They were probably still pissed off about getting their butts handed to
them in the war of 1812).

Well, a pint is defined as 1/8 of a gallon.   So a British pint is 1/8 of
an Imperial gallon, which is a bigger gallon than our gallon.

2.1 liters is 3.69 UK pints, or 4.43 US pints.   Although the ZF manual
doesn't specify, it's written by/for a European audience, using English pints.

Going by liters is the safest thing to do--the Dash-2 manual calls for 3.5
liters (approximately) with no associated pint value, while you say the
Dash-1 manual (for inverted gearboxes) calls for 2.1 liters/3.5 pints.   The
Dash-0 manual (or more accurately, the dash-less manual) doesn't seem to have a
value specified at all--just fill it until it reaches the appropriate mark
on the dipstick.

(The first-gen ZF used a dipstick as part of the vent assembly on the top;
filling was to be done from the side.   The second-generation gearbox as
used in the Mangusta apparently did away with the dipstick in favor of a level
hole in the back cover, and the inverted setup uses the old side fill hole
as the level hole in the Pantera, etc.)