[DeTomaso] Tires and wheels

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Sep 10 14:59:12 EDT 2009

In a message dated 2/11/09 5:49:18 PM, msm at portata.com writes:

> Jack, a while ago you wrote up something about a wheel upgrade really
> costing over $10,000.  It was along the lines of -- if you upgrade A then you
> need to upgrade B.  If you upgrade B then need to upgrade C, etc.  It was
> classic, but I cannot find it.

WARNING- DO NOT LET WIVES READ THIS!!!
What I said a long time ago was - you might spend around $4000 for a set of
17" or 18" wheels and maybe $1000-$1200 more for V, W or Z-rated tires to
fit. You mount them and immediately notice the stock brakes look ridiculously
small showing thru those shiny eye-catching spokes.... so out goes another
$1500 for a set of big 'racing' brakes. Driving the car, you find that the
extra weight of the big wide aluminum wheels, giant tires and big brakes has
destroyed the stock handling.... which gets fixed with a set of $1500
full-adjustable coil-over shocks and heavier springs, plus a custom set of upper
a-arms or suspension bushings (or both), to apply more caster to the assembly
so the wide tires don't 'tramline' on crowned or bumpy roads. Then the
cornering increase from the big tires begins cracking the paint from body
flex.... a set of front & rear frame stiffeners and a good bay-brace from any of
the vendors stops that- for an additional $1000-$1500. Now you're all done...
and in the hole for roughly $10K for those 'big tires'! Some handyman
owners can lo-ball the estimates a little but most can't or won't. This was my
first mention of the "slippery-slope" one can jump onto with Pantera
modifications. FWIW- J Deryke