[DeTomaso] More cruise control issues

Christopher Kimball chrisvkimball at msn.com
Thu Sep 10 12:13:25 EDT 2009

From: cdifani at comcast.net
To: chrisvkimball at msn.com; sobill at aol.com; detomaso at realbig.com
Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] More cruise control issues
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 23:15:51 -0700

Chris:

I'm nowhere near the techie level of our resident wizard, EWSOBill, but I've got a feeling that there's an intermittent something going on.  Like the ground isn't "solid" all the time.  Did you do the direct-to-ground relay when the brake lights are triggered?

I did use the relay, and the ground is directly to the car body using special contact enhancer stuff.

  Secondly, you have a Dakota Digital cruise control system.  What happened to the 'earlier' system?  Did you try it with the "new and improved" ground-trigger-LED brake lights relay?

I tried the relay with the old cruise control, but in retrospect I think the reason it didn't work was that the vss wire wasn't connected.  Of course, it wasn't connected before when the old cruise control was working (until I added the LED brake lights).

Somewhere in my mind is the idea that all of these cruise controls are made by one company (Audiovox I think), and other companies, Dakota for one, buy the basic system from Audiovox, and then add their particular touches, tweaks, and customizations to the basic Audiovox.

The dash switch is the same, but there are more dip switches on the new unit than the old.

Since you are in the kinda unique position of having two cruise systems designed for the same application (that's if you still have the first system), can you look at both systems and determine what is common, and what is unique?  Also can you compare the two manuals against each other, and see if you can meld one successful "set of settings" out of two systems, and two manuals.

As I mentioned, the dash switch is the same, but the instruction for the Dakota Digital unit are far better than the lame instructions that came with the Audiovox unit.

Also you might think about calling the 'first' support people (the support for your 'first' cruise system), and ask for their recommendations.  Who knows, you might finally get lucky!  Find a tech that actually knows what he's talking about!

That's a good idea.

Otherwise, you may have to finally revert to the Mark I Cruise Control, and get that big rock back into the passenger foot well.  Or wait a minute!  You've got an L, so you probably have the Mark 1A Cruise Control instead (the stick)?

Actually, my car is a '72 pre-L so I think the appropriate version of the Mark I is a brick instead of the later version of a rock or the even more advanced stick...

Anyway, keep us "up to speed" with your travails...  And besides, as the rest of us 'watch' you, and your adventures, we all feel better about our adventures!  You're performing an extremely valuable service for the Pantera community!

I'll keep y'all in the loop.  Today the tech with whom I spoke was rather taken aback when I told him the kind of car I have and the horsepower to weight ratio.  He said that could also be part of the problem and recommended I build a bracket for the throttle that would allow the cruise control more travel.  That actually sounds like a good idea which I'm going to tackle tonight.

Chris

Chris Difani
'73 L #5829 "LITNNG"
The Electric Pantera