[DeTomaso] Auto Racing Insights

John Taphorn jtaphorn at kingwoodcable.com
Wed Sep 9 18:55:05 EDT 2009

Some thoughts on preparing your psyche and Pantera for the Track.

It's really easy to make a small fortune racing. All you have to do is start with a BIG fortune.
-Unknown.

The noted F1 genius Colin Chapman (know for his love of lightweight components) when asked, "How do you know when the part is light enough?" He replied, "When you can toss it up in the air and it does not come back down"

"If your winning your cheating"
-Richard Petty

"If everything seems to be under control you're not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti

There are three easy ways of losing money - racing is the quickest, women the most pleasant, and farming the most certain.
-Lord Amherst

"When building engines I have found the piston to ground clearance to be ever so critical."
- Geri Tarvin

"Never race anything that you are not prepared to push off a cliff."
-Will Hartje

"Everyone behind me is an incredibly talented driver - Everyone in front of me is cheating!"
-Bill Haney

"At some point in every racer's life he has to make his peace with cheating. I do not approve of cheating ... at all. Of course, like every successful racer, I differentiate between taking advantage of
loopholes in the regulations, stretching the grey areas and outright cheating. In any given racing series I will not start the cheating. If someone else starts it, I will appeal to them and to the officials to stop it.
If my efforts do not succeed, then I'll show them how it is done ...."
- Carroll Smith, Drive to Win

"Cornering is like bringing a woman to climax"
- Jackie Stewart

"Juan Fangio was the great man of racing; whilst, Stirling Moss was the epitome of a racing driver."
- Jackie Stewart

"Money is how we keep the score in motor racing nowadays."
- Colin Chapman

"Simplify and add lightness"