[DeTomaso] Toyo Proxes ST 295/50/15s

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Sep 8 23:04:17 EDT 2009

In a message dated 8/28/09 16 00 36, jefude at bellsouth.net writes:

> I just purchased a set of Toyo Proxes ST 295/50/15s. $160 per tire plus
> shipping.
> The tire vendor is Tires-N-Parts in Raleigh NC  800-322-9415.  Ask for
> Rick Miller.
> They have about 30 of these with production dates of late 2007 - Jan 2008.

As the guy with arguably the biggest stockpile of tires for 10-inch
Campagnolo wheels (and coincidentally they also work for my Cobra), I felt it was
time to step up to the Toyos.   But rather than buying them and shipping them
across the country, I simply contacted the Toyo dealer in my town (Les
Schwab Tires).   They had them for the same price, so I ordered them.

They quoted me a price over the phone of $600-something for four of them,
but when I went to pick them up, the total came up to $704.   Turns out the
phone quote failed to account for the sales tax, which here is now 9.75%.

I immediately pulled a Heismann.   I'm willing to pay $600-something for
tires I don't need, but $700-something was too much.   I then did the Jedi
Mind Trick on the manager and said simply, "Isn't there something you can do
for me?"

Hey presto, a few pecks on the keyboard, the price of the tires is lowered
to get the out-the-door price down to what the pre-tax price had been, and
in a few minutes (and much to their surprise), all four were stuffed neatly
into the back of my green Scirocco (which itself is worth substantially less
than these tires), and they were soon in my house, joining the rest of the
collection (which now numbers 31 tires, in various sizes, mostly rears but
some fronts, and a set of Scirocco tires too).

So, the lesson here is, if you want these Toyos, act fast, buy locally, and
bargain hard!   Times are tough and tire shops are willing to shave a few
bucks off to make the sale. :>)

Mike (who needs to start thinking about maybe reducing his tire inventory
somewhat!)