[DeTomaso] penetrants

Mountjoy dsmtjoy at cox.net
Tue Sep 8 20:24:15 EDT 2009

Don't know if people have seen this but since so many of us are working on
our cars I thought I'd post this.  Interesting findings...

Darrell

"The following may be of interest to those doing restorations.

Machinist's Workshop magazine tested penetrants for break out torque on
rusted nuts.  They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrants
with the control being the torque required  to remove the nut from a
"scientifically rusted" environment. The results  are as follows;

Penetrating oil.......... Average  load

None ........................ 516  pounds
WD-40 ..................... 238  pounds
PB Blaster ................ 214  pounds
Liquid Wrench ......... 127  pounds
Kano Kroil ................ 106  pounds
ATF-Acetone mix.........53 pounds

The ATF-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix of 50-50 automatic transmission
fluid and acetone."