[DeTomaso] Receipt review Re: Clutch woes in Asa's garage

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Mon Sep 7 15:53:22 EDT 2009

So I sat down with my notebook full of receipts from the original owner
a while ago to see if I can figure out where this slave came from.  My
this has been an interesting trip into this cars past.

The majority of service was performed early in it's life by "Bell
Performance Enterprises."  Apparently, they serviced a lot of Panteras.
Anyone have any old stories they'd like to share about BPE?

It looks like sometime in 1981, he started taking it to a shop called
"Far Performance" instead of BPE.

This car has had services performed to the cooling system since day
one.  There are constant service receipts showing hose changes, hose
re-routing, fixing fans, replacing fans, rewiring fans, installing 160
thermostats. Something was done to the Swirl tank at one time (not
specific).  All kinds of stuff... anyway, I'm off track here.

In 1984, the original carb was replaced with a Ford Holley unit after
the stock carb continued to have choke problems.

In November of 1984, the clutch was reported as inoperative.   The lever
arm had broken.  The part was no longer available (according to the
receipt) so they welded it to the tune of $100.  This same receipt says
the slave cylinder is in need of replacement and the part is on order.
So the weld held for 25 years until I took it apart and broke it.

Two weeks later, they replace the clutch slave with D46Y-7A508-A.  It
doesn't say where it came from.  This is the first of two replacements
of the slave.

Interesting, the very next receipt in February of 1985, I get the first
SMOG test certification.  When did SMOG go into affect in California?

In July of 1985, the owner is complaining the clutch does not work well
when hot.  They adjust.
In Nov of 1985, the Clutch is R&R'd for the second time in it's life.
The parts source is unknown, but the part numbers are listed as:
    - 7563A Cover (does this mean the pressure plate?  $212
    - 7550A Disc  $133
    - 7580A Throw-out bearing 415

January of 1987 is the first appearance of Hall Pantera in the
receipts:  two new Bosch window switches.

AHA!  Here we go.
When the owner passed away, the car was donated to the University of
South California (this is an old story).  The gentleman who ran the
estate as executor for USC had the Pantera serviced by a local car guy.
At that time, in March of 1999, they ordered the following parts from
Pantera Performance Center:
    - Clutch Master Cylinder w/aero fitting, aftermarket  (This is the
CNC unit presently on the car)
    - Slave cylinder assy anodized w/o pushrod  (and this is my slave)
So, it's a PPC Colorado part.

Asa Jay Laughton, MSgt, USAFR, Retired

& Shelley Marie
Spokane, WA