[DeTomaso] Wrong Slave? Re: Clutch woes in Asa's garage

Pantera Place panteraplace at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 7 15:01:25 EDT 2009

Asa,

The spring in the slave should be very light and provide just enough
pressure to push the piston in the extended direction with very, very light
pressure.  I believe the only need for the spring that most all slaves have
is to keep the piston from retracting if you bleed the system with a vacuum
bleeder, makes sure that the piston keeps light pressure on the push rod to
prevent extra free play from developing as the piston moves in and out, etc.

The first thing I would recommend is getting a very light conical spring for
the slave and then make sure the external spring can easily overcome the
internal spring.  On my stock system you can hardly tell that there is a
spring inside the slave.  It is so light the rubber boot will keep the push
rood in place when the assembly is removed from the ZF.  At that point set
your free play.  Here is a step-by-step process that should help
http://www.panteraplace.com/page124.htm  If it doesn't work after completing
the steps shown on the page, re-read them again!!

My car uses all stock parts including the clutch and I can put the car in
reverse directly from neutral with the engine at idle.  Just push the clutch
in, wait a second for the trans to spin down and shift into reverse.  It's a
good test to make sure your free play is adjusted correctly and the clutch
is fully releasing.  Contrary to popular Pantera myths I've found that the
stock parts work perfectly when adjusted correctly. My clutch cover and disk
was provided by Pantera Performance in CO.