[DeTomaso] Wrong Slave?   Re:  Clutch woes in Asa's garage

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Sep 7 13:35:12 EDT 2009

In a message dated 9/6/09 9:43:10 PM, asajay at asajay.com writes:

> The thing that bugs me, is that heavy spring inside the cylinder.  Is
> that right or is this just plain the wrong slave for this application?  No
> other markings on it that I can find.

Long-distance diagnosis is difficult 'cause we can't SEE whats there. As a
reference from a stock slave cylinder, I can pinch the internal spring
together between my thumb and forefinger. It is about 2" long and 3/4" in OD with
very light wire. The slave bore itself is 1" or very close and the stock
clutch master is 0.740" also with a light return spring. Finally, there's a
hairpin return spring on the cross shaft inside the bellhousing that assists
in returning the system when the pedal is released. I suggest removing the
slave cylinder internal spring and seeing if this collection of parts will
work that way. FWIW- J Deryke