[DeTomaso] Clutch woes in Asa's garage

Göran Malmberg hemipanter at hemipanter.se
Mon Sep 7 09:33:26 EDT 2009

It can be an idea with the return spring in the slave cylinder, but the
return spring must be much stronger, or else we will lose play for the
release bearing.
It's a big difference between the brake system and clutch system so that
the clutch system moves much more fluid. This means that the pipes
should be of larger dimension than that of the brake system. One way to
reduce the volume of oil transported in the system is not having very
large diameter of the main and slave cylinder, which is an advantage.
For example, master cylinder 7/8" and the slave cylinder 5/8". The
downside of this is that the smaller dimensions of the cylinders create
increased load on the pistons and their rubber sealing. We can also use
1" master cylinder and 3/4" slave cylinder for about the same ratio,
which is kinder to the cylinders but requires larger fluid tubing.
Therefore it might be better to lessen the slave diameter than icreasing
the master diameter in order to gain slave movement.
Goran

Asa Jay,

I must agree with the questioning of the spring in the slave..... why is
it even there????  The Goose runs a 3/4" bore slave, no spring.  I like
the idea of having it fully seated....at rest (plus required gap...for
fork finger withdrawal).

If you eliminate the spring in the slave for kicks and giggles, and it
still does not resolve issue.....

...then look towards master.

You said that it was difficult to push fluid back up the line.....could
be a restriction in the master's plumbing???  Presuming that someone was
in there and replaced it with some slightly incompatible unit??? Looks
similar....acts different?