[DeTomaso] Clutch woes in Asa's garage

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 7 01:22:13 EDT 2009

I'm trying to rationalize this in my own mind, here's some ramblings;

1. The slave looks very much like one I have from Hall,  but the spring looks a lot heavier than anything I have encountered. Although the spring may be stopping the piston retracting as much as you'd like and not allowing the throwout bearing to completely release I do not see it as the fundamental problem because...

2. The slave piston travel of the slave is not limited in your case as there is no snap ring for the piston to lock up against. Thus no matter where the piston sits at rest it should move the clutch arm the required amount even if that means the piston popping from the slave....

3. If you are 100% confident all the air is out of the system then maybe we are focusing on the wrong end. The slave is just that a slave to the master and in a closed system assuming there are no system leaks can only react accordingly. There are records of the CNC master cylinder failing and just bypassing fluid internally, no external fluid loss!

Going back to my earlier reply, can you measure how much the slave piston actually travels and relate that to the master fluid volume expected? If it is a lot less then the Master maybe the issue.

4. The new slave piston appears to have less of a recess for the actuating rod? That in combination with no spring cut out on the rear would mean the body is longer which may be adding to the problem here....this reflects most in the clutch arm return to rest that you show.

5. To my thinking (and I'm open for corection here) it makes no sense to have the two seals in the same direction. I would think the outermost seal 'sweeps' the bore and keeps it clean for the inner seal, thus your original configuration would be correct to me.

6. My new still in the box Centerforce Dual Friction clutch disc measures 0.33" Part # is DF021057S

7. Did you replace the throwout bearing?

Julian