[DeTomaso] Clutch woes in Asa's garage

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Sep 6 23:13:58 EDT 2009

In a message dated 9/6/09 19 35 39, asajay at asajay.com writes:

> Chuck's video of the slave movement is -nothing- like what I am able to
> get, especially with the external spring removed.  If I remove the
> external spring, I can't seem to get nearly any movement of the piston
> back into the cylinder.  I honestly am beginning to believe this is why
> my clutch was burned up to begin with.

That may very well be.   You should very easily be able to compress the
piston in the slave cylinder by hand, feeling only moderate resistance from the
spring.   You did say that your slave cylinder is a Brand X unit, not a
Pantera part or even an aftermarket Pantera part.   It sounds to me like you
may have struck upon the fundamental problem.

For now I'd leave the existing master alone, and go and fetch yourself a
replacement slave.   The long-throw units are more expensive but not THAT much
more expensive ($139.95 now), so I'd suggest getting one of those.   Since
your existing one has no snap rings (if I recall correctly?) then don't
forget to order those too.

If your existing slave is well and truly fused into the bracket, I'd spritz
it with penetrant, then if necessary, use a press to pop them apart.

Don't break the bracket. :>)