[DeTomaso] Follow up, with photos Re: Clutch woes in Asa's garage

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Sun Sep 6 21:18:09 EDT 2009

I really do appreciate everyone chiming in to try and help me adjust my
clutch remotely.  I've done everything that has been suggested, but it
still will not work.  The last thing I did today was buy a Napa UP-255
cylinder kit to compare it to what I have.  The slave cylinder I have is
definitely NOT stock.  However the bore size is the same and the kit
part and present part only differ by .001", the kit part being .001
larger diameter than the present part.  And it fits.

So I assembled the new piston to the slave cylinder.  Then I removed the
lever arm and moved it one more notch toward the slave.  Now, with the
set screw backed all the way out, I can freely position the lever arm so
it is both free of the pressure plate fingers when closest to the slave
and resting on the fingers when about an 1/8" away.  This is as close to
the slave as I can possibly get the lever arm.

Then I installed the pushrod (adjusted for the shortest length possible)
and the external return spring.  Without -any- fluid pressure and in
fact with the bleed screw open, the internal spring on the slave pushes
the lever arm against the fingers of the pressure plate.  The -only- way
to get the throw out off the fingers is to manually push the piston back
into the cylinder... oh but wait...... when bottomed out, I still
-can't- get the throw out bearing off the fingers.  This would tell me
the clutch lever arm is too close.  Why is there even a spring inside
this slave?  It seems to be the cause of all my problems, pushing the
piston out far enough to contact the throwout bearing against the fingers.

Okay, so I didn't take video, maybe I should be that's a much longer
process.  Here are the photos, with lengthy explanations accompanying each.

Does anyone know what the thickness of a stock friction disc should be?

Asa Jay

Asa Jay Laughton, MSgt, USAFR, Retired

& Shelley Marie
Spokane, WA