[DeTomaso] Clutch woes in Asa's garage

Barry Seib oldwheel at mts.net
Sun Sep 6 20:01:03 EDT 2009

OK
Here's a theory:
If the new disc has marcel springs (or more of that) it will require more
lift to allow complete separation of the disc and pressure plate/flywheel
(because it is more compressible) than a stock disc without that feature.

One aftermarket feature that differs from stock often leads to many more
aftermarket purchases to compensate for the variation in the previous
modifications. Now you need a long throw slave (and maybe a stock sized
master) to get back where you were with the stock disc. maybe?

Barry

pantdino at aol.com pantdino at aol.com wrote
Sun Sep 6 18:00:21 CDT 2009

 Can someone explain why the new clutch would require more arm motion /
displacement from the rest position than the old one?

I can see how disc thickness, flywheel thickness, etc would change the
"rest" position of the clutch arm, but why would we suddenly need more
MOVEMENT of the arm / rotation of the ZF shaft?