[DeTomaso] Tailight Lenses/dye

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun Sep 6 15:36:18 EDT 2009

In a message dated 9/5/09 2:46:04 PM, jderyke at aol.com writes:

> I run Lexan (or plexiglas- depends on the year) front quarter windows,
> and a shallow pan of 'RIT'-brand dye dissolved in warm water, permanently
> dyes the clear plastic to match the shading on windshields & side windows....

FWIW, this is really a tech tip from your ex-VP Judy DeRyke, who told me
back in the late '80s that she shaded plastic sunglasses this way at the
optometrist's office where she worked. I tried it in '91 on some plexi quarter
windows, and sure enough, it worked just as she said. Just be careful- the
dyeing is pretty fast: I think the last time, I left the windows in only about
a minute before rinsing & checking the darkness (by eye). Oh, and its
economical: I still have a quart of the original dye mix in a jar in the garage.
Apparently, it will last forever! Cheers- J Deryke