[DeTomaso] Update.... still no go.... Re: Clutch woes inAsa'sgarage

detomasoregistry at gmail.com detomasoregistry at gmail.com
Sun Sep 6 14:38:13 EDT 2009

Chuck,

I appreciate the link.  The video only appears to have one shot in it where the clutch is
actuated about four times.

Yes, the first two are the "before" and the last two show the "after" (after the work and
adjustment), edited together.

I can tell you that I'm not getting anywhere near that travel on mine.

Slightly less is common, significantly less is an indication of a problem.

The question that must be asked here, is what the master was.  Was it a 3/4" CNC like
mine, or a stock unit?

The master is stock (read 1971 vintage, original to the car part).

Oh, .... and mine doesn't return as well without the spring.  I note in your video, the
return spring is hanging loose.  If I don't attach the return spring, mine just kind of
lounges around.

EEEK! another sign you have a problem.  It takes WORK to move the clutch arm by hand
(leverage and vise-grip like holding.)

Some times people hurt their hands moving or trying to move the clutch, there is that much
force to overcome.

There are several springs that help return.  One is on the clutch pedal.  The other is in
the master (or it is there in my CNC unit).

There is one in the slave (not super strong) next is the one (intentionally) disconnected
in the video, and the final is the clutch fingers

 or diaphragm which provides the most force.

I have other video clips of all the various clutch "action areas", including the clutch
effort reduction kit.  I have a lot of work to do,

pulling all the tech info together, updating the numerous pages on the subject (some I
even forgot I had) and making sure it is well

organized, easy to find, and represented on the site map, menu column, and Tech main page,
so this is going to take me a while.

A flat google-like search is not going to work well without a lot of meta-tagging files
that are part of "events" versus tech info topics.

This was how I missed this video clip.

As to your "clutch" thickness. I ran into this when I replaced my clutch (with a used
clutch for some testing) where the total

thickness of the various components including a different flywheel, pressure plate,
"clutch" and TO & TO carrier, was significant.

I'll need to review my notes, photos, and videos from that day before I can answer with
details. but I had to use a different flywheel

(We had several spares!) in order for the parts to fit correctly.  I was truly surprised
at all the variations!

Chuck

Asa Jay

Asa Jay Laughton, MSgt, USAFR, Retired

& Shelley Marie
Spokane, WA

1971 Mach I Mustang  [ASA JAY]
1973 Pantera L 5533  [ASASCAT]

******************************
http://www.asajay.com
http://www.teampanteraracing.com

detomasoregistry at gmail.com wrote:

Asa Jay,

Because it can be hard to describe the correct function of the slave, well,
if a picture is worth a thousand words, then a video clip must be worth...

You could start down a few levels or at the overview:

http://www.provamo.com/Members/TechInfo/ClutchOverview.asp

OH, wait! Never mind this link.

I realize I need to update the site map, and also move some of these
links, data, photos and video clips into the Tech Answers area....

Now you are going to make me work on a Sunday!

For a video clip of the slave in in-action and action see:

http://www.provamo.com/Members/DeTEvents/2009KaiserTS.asp

In the second half of the video is how the slave should work.

Chuck

Asa Jay,

If you get 1-1/2 inches of travel of the slave piston when the clutch is
released (at rest), my guess would be that the clutch lever arm on the side
of the bellhousing is not in the right position.  If the slave piston is too
far down in the cylinder bore (towards the rear of the car), then it will
bottom out against the stop ring at the end of the cylinder before the
clutch engages.  There isn't enough length or adjustment in the actuator rod
between the slave and clutch lever rod to cover adjusting out 1-1/2 inches.
You probably need to  rotate the clutch lever one spline on its shaft
(rotate it towards the engine) to push the slave piston higher in the slave
bore.

Dave Bell