[DeTomaso] Update.... still no go.... Re: Clutch woes in Asa'sgarage

David & Marilyn Bell davidabell at worldnet.att.net
Sun Sep 6 06:50:48 EDT 2009

Asa Jay,

If you get 1-1/2 inches of travel of the slave piston when the clutch is
released (at rest), my guess would be that the clutch lever arm on the side
of the bellhousing is not in the right position.  If the slave piston is too
far down in the cylinder bore (towards the rear of the car), then it will
bottom out against the stop ring at the end of the cylinder before the
clutch engages.  There isn't enough length or adjustment in the actuator rod
between the slave and clutch lever rod to cover adjusting out 1-1/2 inches.
You probably need to  rotate the clutch lever one spline on its shaft
(rotate it towards the engine) to push the slave piston higher in the slave
bore.

Dave Bell