[DeTomaso] More cruise control issues

Christopher Kimball chrisvkimball at msn.com
Sat Sep 5 22:46:57 EDT 2009

Dear Bill,

I received your sending unit today (thank you) and installed it for the test run, but what happened when I tried operating the cruise control was quite a surprise, to say the least.

When I pushed the "set/accel" button on the dashboard control, the car floored itself and took off like a rocket until I hit the brakes so as not to rear-end the car several hundred yards ahead of me!  I tried several more times, only to have the same thing happen.  Only once did it begin to act remotely like a cruise control, but then it acted like I was flooring it, letting off on the gas, then flooring it again, and so on.  That only lasted a few seconds before it turned itself off.

The Dakota Digital technician with whom I spoke said I should hook the tach wire from the cruise control box to the wire that goes directly from the 6AL box to the tachometer.  Since I'm using a tach adapter, however, I'm thinking maybe the problem is that I should be hooking the cruise control's tach wire to the tach wire coming from the 6AL box before that wire goes into the tach adaptor.  The tach adaptor's signal may be unrecognizable to the cc unit, but maybe the unadulterated signal from the 6AL is what the cc is looking for.

Or, it could be the guy I talked to gave me the incorrect switch positions for the 12 tiny switches inside the cruise control brain.  After all, I did get completely different answers the two times I called technicians at Dakota Digital about my cruise control hookup questions.

Any thoughts?

Sincerely,

Chris