[DeTomaso] Tailight Lenses

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sat Sep 5 17:26:14 EDT 2009

In a message dated 9/5/09 1:16:08 PM, ihannington286720mi at comcast.net
writes:

> The coating on the inside of my lenses is flaking off.  Does anybody make
> a product for recoating the red and amber colors on the inside of the
> lens?

Not to my knowlege, Ian. Most tail lights have the problem of losing the
micro-thin reflective coation on the inside of the buckets. Your question sort
of implies some type of paint on the lens, which I didn't think had been
used by the factory. Are these stock U.S, stock Euro or GR-4 lenses?
If you'd like to experiment (and write me an article on how it worked),
plastic dyes quite easily. I run Lexan front quarter windows, and a shallow pan
of 'RIT'-brand dye dissolved in warm water permanently dyes the clear
plastic to match the shading on windshields & side windows. So I'll bet the right
color of RIT dye in warm water will also work on your lenses. The
color-impregnation happens quite fast so you can just hold the lens at the right
depth for a minute, rinse and repeat as necessary. Good luck- J Deryke