[DeTomaso] pressure and overflow tanks

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Sep 5 10:57:59 EDT 2009

In a message dated 9/5/09 6 12 41, LEVITT1946 at aol.com writes:

> I had a 13lb pressurized cap on each tank and car seemed to hold its
> pressure and temp. Last night I changed to a 16lb on the pressure tank and
> a non
> pressurized cap on the overflow. The car hit 250 degrees in traffic and
> stop and  go.

You seem to indicate a causal relationship there.   My question would be,
"Besides changing the radiator cap, what *else* did you do?"  I suspect
there's much more to the story here, like, "...and I drained and refilled the
coolant system."   That puts you in the Asa Jay camp, with an improperly
filled/bled system.   That is probably the source of your problem, not the new
radiator cap.

As long as a cap seals, it seals.   A higher-pressure cap won't make your
car run hotter or cooler.   What it does is raise the temperature at which
the coolant mixture will boil.

A pressure cap on the pressure tank (I prefer 16 psi, but 13 should work
fine) and a non-pressure cap on the overflow bottle is the way to go.