[DeTomaso] Detomaso Registry

detomasoregistry at gmail.com detomasoregistry at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 12:36:17 EDT 2009

I didn't realize Chuck had such competition!
Some of the cars I'm associated with seem to be missing though...

Kirby,

...And competition is a good thing!  I just followed the link... to Ben Tyer's site.

Ben's flat file list has grown to several hundred entries since I saw it years ago.  I
initially contact him about working together, but I didn't get a reply.  Ben seems like a
good guy, and his commercial site features DeTomaso 'kind of' over the other cars his site
markets which is a good thing for our Marque, receiving prominent position.

One reason I made my resource a relational database was this format of a flat file
makes it almost impossible to find a specific car unless you already know the number, with
out going thru the whole list.
And finding examples of cars by a specific feature or detail (For example: wheel size, or
bumper type) is not even possible with a flat file format, even if he did include that
data.  The (ProvaMo) registry can be searched using about any field (detail) as your
criteria, say only Right Hand Drive (RHD) cars for another example.

What could be useful is the tiny/thumbnail pic, at least you can see by color.
I considered having this originally, but the (ProvaMo) registry has grown so fast that
I have yet implement it.  Going back now thru 2,400+ entries to create a tiny photo seems
daunting, and really not that valuable.  Instead people can just click on the camera icon
to get the full Photo, Video & Detail page.

In the one sample I reviewed on Ben's site, it does not look like the owner can add any
personal data or comments about their car, and the number of photos seems limited.
I allow and promote an owner to add ANY details, like their ongoing story of their
restoration, or their recent Dyno sheet, and video clips, to their detail page, or even
getting signed by Tom Tjaarda for example, and a few owners have close to a hundred
photos!

So there really are a LOT of differences between our resources, yet it is good there are
multiple data sources.  Don't forget Ron Hyde's excel-based list (So it is searchable
too!) and then the people that focus on a specific model like the Push-Button guy (link on
my website), or Peter Havlik's "late-model" (9000 series) collection (also his link on my
site).

If people really knew the work that "we" put into these resources....

Chuck Melton