[DeTomaso] Recap... Asa's adventure in Pantera fluid dynamics

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Fri Sep 4 10:15:34 EDT 2009

Geeez, always pointing me to that guy running the club store.

Well, if the Pantera holds 6½ gallons of coolant, and my system was
completely dry, then I -definitely- had an air pocket.  My initial fill,
to the point the radiator was full (coming out the bleed at the top) and
the swirl tank was full, was three gallons.  I thought this was short,
but could not get any more in.  The thermostat had a bleed hole as well,
so I figured I need to run it an push some air out.  However, I now
believe I introduced a big air lock in it somewhere, possibly at or near
the pump and almost definitely in the engine.

Now that I've added coolant and manually turned the pump with the heater
hose off, I have been able to tell when the impeller was saturated with
coolant.  Now it's back to putting the thermostat housing on and
attempting to bleed the system again.  This time, paying more attention
to what's going on, rather than the excitement of just having the car
running after two years.

There is probably a lesson in here about filling a dry Pantera with coolant.

Asa Jay

Asa Jay Laughton, MSgt, USAFR, Retired

& Shelley Marie
Spokane, WA