[DeTomaso] Recap... Asa's adventure in Pantera fluid dynamics

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Fri Sep 4 01:51:33 EDT 2009

In a message dated 9/3/09 9:35:43 PM, asajay at asajay.com writes:

> At this time, all that makes sense is a massive air pocket that at some
> point got stuck at the water pump, much as I don't want to believe it.

Happens quite a bit. When I fill our radiator using the LIsle funnel I
wrote about in the Oct 2001 newsletter, I fill it to the brim, then start the
engine. After a minute or two, the water level in the LIsle funnel drops a
good 2 quarts. I quickly refill it until the running engine will not accept any
more, then remove the funnel and cap the system, then shut down. Note that
the thermostat has not yet opened, and all the air is not yet bled out.
When the engine's cooled off, I bleed the radiator, add more water and
start the engine again, this time letting it idle until the water temp gauge
says the thermostat has opened, then shut it down and cool off. Once cool, I
bleed the radiator a second time, and again refill the water level. Now the
car is driveable but still has some air, which may take a week to bleed out a
little at a time. I don't need to jack the haunch up with the Lisle funnel.
These cars are complicated but worth the effort. Good luck- J Deryke