[DeTomaso] head drilling for air release

John Taphorn jtaphorn at kingwoodcable.com
Thu Sep 3 20:33:05 EDT 2009

Let me offer another perspective on restricting coolant flow.  I am
skeptical that restricting flow helped Mike's cooling issue; rather I am
prone to believe it was coincidental to another change that may have
inadvertently occurred, such as removal of trapped air.

Trapping water in the motor to absorb more heat doesn't work very well.  As
the trapped water gets hotter, it's ability to absorb additional heat energy
slows.  The greater the temp differential between the block and the water,
the more efficiently the water will absorb additional heat energy.  Thus, it
will always be better to get cooler water from the radiator into the block.
If you could magically remove the just introduced water within seconds and
replace it with cooler water, cooling efficiency would always improve.  Put
another way, cooler water will always absorb more heat than warmer water at
the same elevation.  Thus, it is NEVER better to slow or trap water in the
block.

Now, lets look at the other end.  The radiator cools more efficiently when
the difference between the temperature of the water in the radiator and the
air's temperature (ambient) flowing through it's fins is greatest.  As
coolant flows through the radiator and cools, the difference between coolant
temps and ambient air decreases.  In a two pass system, the coolant temp
drop is greater on the first half than on the second pass.  On a single
pass, the reduction in coolant temps is greater on its journey across the
first half of the radiator then the second half.  Again, as the coolant
passes through the radiator and the coolant temperature falls, it is a
greater challenge for the ambient air to cool the coolant each successive
degree.  The logical concomitant is that introducing newly released from the
engine hotter coolant to the radiator with a higher temperature difference
to ambient is better than trapping cooled coolant in the radiator longer
trying to drop additional heat energy.

It is true that the idea of slowing coolant to gain more heat in the block
and release more in the radiator is compelling on its face and explains why
the misunderstanding has survived as long as it has.  However, it qualifies
as a myth or legend in conflict with the laws of thermodynamics.

As others have said on this forum.  It is all about flow.  You cannot get
enough - you cannot get to much.  The added benefit of greater coolant flow
is increased coolant turbulence against the surface it is trying to extract
or expel heat.  Greater turbulence enhances heat transfer.

JT