[DeTomaso] head drilling for air release

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Sep 3 16:04:26 EDT 2009

In a message dated 9/3/09 12:24:12 PM, gow2 at rc-tech.net writes:

> In effort to move more water has anyone sourced larger under car water
> pipes?

Bill, this has come up periodically since 1977. The entire engine assembly
is a flow restrictor, as is the radiator. Larger undercar pipes reduce water
velocity but flow the same total volume, at a slower rate. The best example
was a documented article in an ancient P.I magazine where, after long
debates in print, a FL owner, at great expense, replaced his Pantera's entire
cooling system with 2" tubing: the pipes, the hose spigots on the rad and surge
tank, etc, etc. At the end, a 2-hr run showed zero change in engine temps.
\My own experience showed (in over 10 years of POCA News articles) in spite
of theory and presumed efficiency increases, NOTHING reduced engine temps
in my thoroughly modified Pantera except a bigger aluminum radiator, and the
aluminum is important because the core tubes in alloy rads are 4X the size
of those in any copper rad, thus reducing flow restriction. Further, WELDED
alloy rads last longer and work more dependably than cheaper epoxy-sealed
alloy rads. We currently have someone in the group looking to replace his
not-very-old but leaking epoxy-sealed aluminum rad, which is unrepairable. FWIW-
J Deryke