[DeTomaso] head drilling for air release

michael frazier red3644 at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 3 15:50:15 EDT 2009

  I've had the bleeders on the back of the heads on 2 Panteras and plan to add them to the latest car.  You can easily add them to an assembled engine in the car.  The location is important and you would need to have access to a head or photos of the bleeders on another engine to place them correctly.  Ideally theyshould penetrate the water jacket right at its highest  point

in the back of the head. I used a small pipe threaded socket head plug, but I've seen other options used.  You can also plumb lines into the coolant tanks.

  I've never had problems filling the cars but I do have my own procedure. I don't raise the back of the car that much. If the engine is facing down you can trap air in the back of the heads and the fill points are higher than the radiator to begin with.

I've always had a petcock or the small line in the top corner of the radiator.  I'm usually doing a full refill after some sort of

engine work so I have the engine cover open inside.  I fill slowly until the radiator is full and water is running ou the top opening,

I have the thermostat housing slightly loose and continue filling slowly until water ills the block to that point and more still until

the heads are full and runnning out the ports at the back of the heads.  In case you're wondering I do close or tighten the openings as water reaches those points.  Continue filling until the pressure tank is full.  Run the engine and circulate everything.

I check it later and have only had to add a little bit of water. No problems after that. I thinnk the most important item is a bleed at the top of the radiator to get a good fill on the first try.

  I've done it enough times that it's old hat to me, but I hope this might help someone.

Michael

Gruppo Rompiculi Corsa...still looking for a block before I go LS7.