[DeTomaso] Thermostat question

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Wed Sep 2 18:55:13 EDT 2009

In a message dated 9/2/09 11:54:43 AM, grayjim at att.net writes:

> Does anyone know if there exits a Cleveland-specific 160 deg thermostat?
> More than one engine builder says to use such a thermostat but I also think
> they substitute the restrictor in the bypass circuit with one that has a
> much smaller hole.  One such brass restrictor that I saw from Dennis Quella
> had a hole no larger than 1/4 inch

I've not found a Cleveland-specific 160F thermostat. Some guys have
fabricated such things by soldering a Clevelands' copper shut-off thimble on the
bottom of a Windsor thermostat. Dunno what reliability this might
deliver.....But if the engine has certain aftermarket waterpumps that do not have the
cast-in warm-up circuit, or a warm-up port thats been plugged with a setscrew
or by other means, then ANY Ford (and many Chevy as well) thermostats will
work just fine in a Cleveland block.

The brass restrictor ring is lightly pressed in and is usually easily
removed with a screwdriver or small prybar. But they're getting harder to find
NOS so don't maul it too badly- you may want it again someday! Good luck- J
Deryke