[DeTomaso] 351C 4bolt main shortblock for sale +.030

Sean Korb spkorb at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 08:48:03 EDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 3:38 AM, <steven.liebenow at att.net> wrote:
> Be glad you aren't running a 428 Cobra Jet block....I just sold a 1970 short block for $2500.... Why so much? Ask yourself what cars did 1970 428 Cobra Jet motors come in? ......not very common.  Fast forward another 5-10 years and Cleveland core blocks capable of 4 bolt caps will be selling for $600-750. Perhaps more.  By then, I may just consider walking away with the main caps.....cuz I'll be 5-10 years older....!!!

As the parts become rare, it becomes more interesting to present the
car as art rather than drive it.  If you want the sensation of a 428CJ
just stroke a 390 crank to 4" and drop some Chrysler Slant Six rods
and Chevy pistons into an overbored 391 truck block.  It's not
"correct" but it will drive; and you could even put it in a Pantera :)

It's going to be painful to watch, but even our humble group is not
immune as the cost of entry gets higher.  Hot-rodding will become
supplanted with folklore about if Louigi was on the line that day he
used yellow grease markers and if Angelo was on the line he used red
and marked the "OK" just so under each headlight bucket.  These are
the good old days where you can drive and race your Pantera as you
like it with fairly inexpensive replacement or aftermarket parts.