[DeTomaso] Connecting A High Torque/Gear Reduction Starter In A Pantera

Jim & Emilia jes at riverdeltawireless.com
Fri Oct 30 11:24:16 EDT 2009

I had a similar problem with 1575, about 8 years ago.  Being an electronics
guy, I actually measured the current drawn by the "trigger" wire, coming
from the ignition key switch.  I was shocked by the amount of draw.  After 8
years my memory is a bit fuzzy, but I think it was on the order of 15 to 20
amps!  I knew this wouldn't be very good for the ignition switch contacts,
so I installed a standard 30 amp automotive relay in that trigger wire, thus
relieving the big load on the ignition switch.  Bill's modification does the
same thing, using the OEM solenoid on the firewall.

BTW, 1575 had it's entire wiring harness burnt up (fire) by a careless jump
start many years ago.  It was completely rewired, and thus was not
completely stock.  I ran across the guy that rewired it at Sears Point one
year.  He said he knew this car very well, because he rewired it.  It took
him about 1 year to do the job and said he'd never touch another Pantera
again!  He works only on BMW's now.  He did do a very professional job, not
a slap it together to get it running job.  Looks factory or better.  He just
missed this starter issue, by not taking measurements.

Jim

Jim & Emilia Seiferling
Co-Presidents, Capitol Panteras
http://www.capitolpanteras.org
jes at riverdeltawireless.com
#1575 [JHSTBAD]
#7114 [JIMS CAT]
WB6BET-Jim
KI6YYT-Emilia
Life goal: To be the person my dog thinks I am.

"You're never too old to do goofy stuff."
                ~Ward Cleaver