[DeTomaso] RPM drop, 4th to 5th with taller 5th gear

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 30 10:02:07 EDT 2009

Dan,

The best way to assess this change is to use the Excel gear ratio calculator developed by Mike Dailey. Its a great little tool, my copy is attached (will be stripped to the list) and I previously added all the available gear ratios to be able to quickly look at various combinations. The tall 5th is a 0.642 (vs 0.705 std), although a scarce 0.62 is apparently also available.

Prediction is if you shift from 4th at 6000 rpm (151 mph) your rpm would drop to 5000 with a std 5th and 4600 with a 0.642 tall 5th.

Julian