[DeTomaso] Starter wiring

Larry Weston lplugw at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 29 11:00:06 EDT 2009

My starting problems were resolved with a stock late model Ford PMGR starter wired as per SOBs suggestions. Never had an issue since I put it in.
Major points are, it was really easy, the solenoid at the starter gets maximum voltage through a short 12 ga wire (practically coming directly from the battery) and most positively engages the contacts within (rather than the wimpy wire coming from the already taxed ignition switch many, many feet away) and my Duraspark ignition needs the signal from the stock solenoid to engage the spark retard when cranking, which also strongly benefits hot starting.
Larry.