[DeTomaso] Connecting A High Torque/Gear Reduction Starter In A Pantera

Thomas Tornblom Thomas.Tornblom at hax.se
Thu Oct 29 04:49:46 EDT 2009

MikeLDrew at aol.com skrev:
> Bill,
>
> What has never been adequately explained is why you can't just run the
> battery cable to the new starter (either using the old solenoid solely as a
> means to join the two cables, or discarding it entirely and just using a bolt
> and nut to attach the two cables together, and wrapping with heat-shrink), and
> extending the stock actuation wire (coming from the key), from the old
> solenoid, to the new solenoid.
>
> Yes, I know, there are various wires for points and so forth on the stock
> solenoid, but if one is using a modern ignition system, as the overwhelming
> majority of us are, those wires are no longer used anyway.
>
> So, what's the problem with the ultra-simple scheme, which simply replaces
> the solenoid on the firewall, with the solenoid on the starter?

That shouldn't be a problem.

The solenoid on the starter may perhaps draw a bit more current as it
has to engage the gears. With Bills connection, the ignition switch
still only has to carry the current needed to actuate the old solenoid.
That would most likely better be handled by a modern small square relay.

It is also a convenient way to keep the fat battery wires from hitting
anything grounded and this prevent fireworks.

> Mike

Thomas