[DeTomaso] window glass

Christopher Kimball chrisvkimball at msn.com
Wed Oct 28 13:48:51 EDT 2009

I like that approach!  The previous owner told me he had put brass gears in already, so I think I'll probably just replace the glass and hope I get a few more years out of the existing window motor.

I'm not too worried about weight--my new engine has a lot more displacement and horsepower than stock, so that makes up for the weight of the subwoofer & cabinet, twin audio amps, DVD player, heat-extracting fans on the engine cover, extra dynamat, stock starter, etc. etc. etc...

By the way, last night I dove into the air horn assembly since it was kind of a roll of the dice as to whether the horn would actually honk when needed.  The ground wire and metal mounting tabs on the electric air pump motor were badly corroded, and the contacts on the motor didn't look to good, either.  I wire-brushed all the contact points and the mounting tabs, sprayed them all with a special electrical contact-improvement spray, put it all back together, and presto--the things leaps into service with nary a nudge on the horn button.

Of course, during that proceedre I came to find out my driver's side headlight remains on when the headlights are retracted and the parking lights are on...

Sincerely,

Chris