[DeTomaso] Things that make you go, "Hmmm...."

detomasoregistry at gmail.com detomasoregistry at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 15:32:11 EDT 2009

Nice rotor you got there.

Chuck

Subject: [DeTomaso] Things that make you go, "Hmmm...."

Hi guys,

Yesterday, while wrestling with my Pantera to change the front shocks, I
pulled the driver's side wheel, and was very surprised to find this:

Apparently, the mounting bolts holding the Spherebar sway bar bracket to
the A-arm backed out, and the cover made a successful bid for freedom at some
unknown point in the past.   You can see where the bottom of the bracket has
been resting on the A-arm.

What this means is that the sway bar was working in right-hand corners
(because the left-side A-arm was pushing up on the underside of the bracket),
but it was not working in left-hand corners (because as the car rolled to the
right, the left side of the bar just lifted away from the A-arm).

I think this actually happened towards the end of the track event in Reno.
 Somebody was riding with me, and we heard what sounded like something
falling off the car--it was loud enough that the cornerworkers even heard it and
reported it.   We pulled in and I gave the car a quick look-see, and found
a blown exhaust gasket and missing bolts on the left-side collector.   I
assumed the sound was just one of the bolts getting tangled up in the car
before hitting the ground.

Not long after that, the car started to get really over-steery in left-hand
corners, which we attributed to a badly overheated right rear tire.   But
now I think it's because I had a dramatically unbalanced front/rear sway bar
thing going on.

Anyway, I called Hall Pantera and Tara was kind enough to sell me a
replacement cover and bolts.   I offered   up my address, and she laughed and said
she knew it by heart, because of all the parts that Eurodudes have sent to
my house over the years.   HAH!