[DeTomaso] Tach Problem

David & Marilyn Bell davidabell at worldnet.att.net
Mon Oct 26 01:08:43 EDT 2009

John Taphorn and I just picked up my Pantera after 2-1/2 years storage at my
sisters house in Crawford,TX.  In spite of massive secret service protection
the entire time the car was stored in Crawford, I've discovered that the
tach has ceased to function (it was working last summer).  I checked the
output from the tach adaptor and got a constant 12 volt signal, that does
not vary with rpm.  I've also swapped in a substitute tach that doesn't work
either.  The signal wire voltage at the tach itself is the same steady 12
volts (the wire isn't broken along the way).

I'm not sure that measuring voltage is the way to check the tach adaptor
signal however.  Is there some way for an electron challenged person to
figure out which electronic gizmo might be the problem?

Dave Bell