[DeTomaso] Need to change water pump - recommendations?

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Oct 25 19:40:30 EDT 2009

In a message dated 10/25/09 15 54 6, mbefthomas at comcast.net writes:

> Well, my water pump has decided to give up, so I'm looking for a new one.
> Had an aluminum HD unit from Byers that lasted me about 5 years.  My
> builder
> had mentioned that with the straight vanes on the impeller that it could
> cavitate at certain RPM's, and that a pump with curved vanes was better.
>
> Comments and recommendations are welcome.

I think that Edelbrock pumps are widely viewed as being among the best you
can buy.   If you walk through the pits at the Monterey Historics and look
at all the Ford-powered cars, the overwhelming majority have Edelbrock pumps.
  That says a lot.

I have Edelbrock pumps in both my Cobra and GT350, no problems at all.
I've got a 'custom' pump from Pantera Performance Center in my Pantera;
supposedly it's built on a modified Weiand water pump body, and supposedly this
water pump body lacks the bypass that lets the engine warm up normally.
Although it has given me zero problems, ever, were I to need to replace it, I
think I'd definitely choose an Edelbrock.