[DeTomaso] Barn find Pantera

Christopher Kimball chrisvkimball at msn.com
Tue Oct 20 11:48:59 EDT 2009

I don't mean to throw cold water on this (if you ever throw cold water on anything Pantera, it will rust), but I would be really, really careful about getting involved with that car.  It looks as if it has been neglected, and the cost to fix things, especially rusted fame parts, is huge.

If you can do all the work yourself you might end up with something worth the effort, but having been there, if I had it to do over, I wourld probably buy a car that's already done.  I've spend over twice what I paid for mine in upgrades and repairs, and although I love my car (it now has a newly built 351 pushed out to 408 which accounts for some of the cost) had I spent in one fell swoop what I spent over the last three years, I'd have just as nice a car, if not nicer, without the many, many hours of work the Panteras Northwest guys and I have put into it.

Speaking of the Panteras Northwest members, I guess that's one silver lining about all the work.  There's nothing like adversity to forge great friendships!

With the economy the way it is, I'm sure you can get a really nice, allready-fixed-up Pantera for a very good price.  I don't know if you're already a POCA member (you should be), but just be sure and have PCOA members help you out inspecting any car in person before you buy.

Sincerely,

Chris