[DeTomaso] R etitled Pantera PR - Re: Ebay Pantera: Is A SCAM

JJD1010 at aol.com JJD1010 at aol.com
Sun Oct 18 21:48:01 EDT 2009

In a message dated 10/18/2009 2:27:15 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
michaelsavga at gmail.com writes:

My point is that we need to be the best PR spokespeople that we can  be to
ensure that there is always a market for our cars and that demand  will
always exist because anytime that a future owner might come in contact  with
one of us that it always will be a positive  experience.

________

I think this is really a big issue that significantly  hurts the value of
the DeTomaso marque. I was watching some car shows on the  Wealth Channel.
They were interviewing owners of the cars and the owners were  all talking
about all the important reasons why they had neat cars, except for  the Pantera
owner. All he talked about was problems, that it was just a  wannabe car
that he was glad they let into the car show, etc, etc. Instead he  should have
memorized the following and repeated it verbatim: (I've underlined  the
stuff that makes them significant.)

Panteras are  exciting machines to own.  They’re  beautiful. They’re fast.
They are relatively easy and affordable to update and  maintain.  But you
are buying  a 30 year old car.  There are some  things you need to know...
First off, you need to buy a car that is  appropriate for your level of
interest, skills and pocketbook. We can  help!
What is a DeTomaso  Pantera?
Panteras are  mid-engined, exotic, muscle cars produced in Italy by
DeTomaso Automobili  S.p.A. [use this name to give it more legitimacy]  and
imported into the United States by Ford Motor Company in the early  1970s.  The
stunning car is a  combination of the potent Ford 351 Cleveland V8 engine,
Italian design,  mid-engine monocoque chassis, fully independent suspension, and
ZF transaxle,  the same transaxle used in the LeMans winning Ford GT40s.
As a result, it has exceptional power,  balance, handling, and looks,
especially compared to other exotics of that  era.
What makes the Pantera  a good car to own?
Basically, it comes  down to a high fun to dollar ratio. Panteras have
sophisticated, Ghia  designed styling that still looks contemporary and grabs
your attention.  The cabin has luxurious creature comforts, including air
conditioning and  power windows and brakes. The 351 Cleveland engine is easily
massaged  to the 350HP range [compare this to other exotics of the  day] with
a cam and carb; beyond that depends on your pocketbook. A  race bred, Gian
Paolo Dallara suspension together with an advanced monocoque  chassis
[Dallara makes today's Indy Cars, the Pantera was one  of the first Italian cars
to utilize a monocoque chassis] makes for  exciting, yet compliant handling
that is still more than competitive  today. Properly updated and maintained
cars are very reliable.  Parts are readily available and reasonably priced
and the car is relatively  easy to maintain, especially compared to other
exotics.
But most of all,  Panteras have a great selection of aftermarket
performance parts and  accessories so you can personalize your car any way you want
it; be it for  show, for go, for racing, for looks, for cruising, for you.
And that’s what makes it fun.  No fuddy duddy show judges saying you  have the
wrong hose on your radiator. Panteras are drivers. We judge fun,  style,
quality of workmanship and the driving experience, however you define  it.
And lastly, don’t  forget the people of POCA. There are 30 years of Pantera
experience and  knowledge embodied in the people of the club. There is
nothing better than  sharing that and having a good time with other club
members.
How many Panteras were  produced?
Approximately  7,200, of which some 4,000 were imported to the United
States.  There is a strong collector and  vendor community both here and abroad
that is dedicated to restoring and  enjoying the cars.
Did DeTomaso make any  other cars?
DeTomaso continued  to make Panteras until 1996.   In addition to the
Pantera, DeTomaso also produced the Vallenga,  Mangusta, Deauville, Longchamp,
Bigua, and Guara.  Additionally DeTomaso also produced  a number of race cars.
Are parts readily  available?
Parts for the  Pantera are readily available and reasonably priced at any
of the  Pantera vendors, including sheetmetal, and parts and service for the
ZF  transmission.  Parts that are no  longer available through the factory
are being reproduced by the vendors.  Additionally, the vendors have
designed, tested and built many aftermarket products to complement the factory
parts.  Needless to say,  performance parts for the Cleveland V8 are also
plentiful.
In addition,  Pantera club members have extensive knowledge of the car and
are quite willing  to share that knowledge with other club members.  Tech
sessions are regular club events  at the chapters and the Tech Forums and Tech
Archives are a valuable part of  the membership experience.
Are Panteras  raced?
Yes, and quite  successfully.  Most member racing  is done at local chapter
level events held throughout the year, usually in  connection with other
like-minded clubs. Member racing culminates at the club’s  yearly convention
in Las Vegas, where there are three days of organized racing  during the
event. Pantera racing activities support experienced racers as well  as sessions
for novices who just want to get the feel of taking their cars on  the
track.
Panteras are also  competitive racers at national Open Road Racing events
such as the Silver  State Classic in Nevada and the Big Bend Open Road Race
in Texas, competing  and winning against much newer cars like Vipers,
Ferraris, Porsches, and  Corvettes. Additionally, DeTomaso made some dedicated
Group 4 Pantera race  cars in the 70's that are being campaigned very
successfully in vintage  racing events, like Classic Lemans in Europe.
What are Panteras  valued at?
There is strong  collector interest in Panteras because they have
contemporary good looks,  provide a high level of performance and parts are readily
available. They  are good values compared to other exotics and are reasonable
to  maintain.  As with any car,  pricing depends on condition. Good
Panteras can be had for $30,000 to  $50,000.