[DeTomaso] Ebay Pantera: Is A SCAM!!!!-BIDS HAVE BEEN REMOVED!

michael@michaelshortt.com michaelsavga at gmail.com
Sun Oct 18 15:26:28 EDT 2009

I hope so, i just hate that other people see an auction like that and
associate a price that low with our cars.   I'm all for showing higher sales
prices whenever possible and burying anything 40K.  If we don't do it,
certainly nobody else will do it for us.  Aside from that, the description
of the car was obviously written by an idiot (and a scammer of course), but
outsiders don't know that and some ( with more money than brains ) might
accept it as the truth and the car's condition and differences from stock
appearing as a fact.

I attended a car show yesterday ( if you are on Facebook, I posted 60 photos
) (Won Best Import) and had to endure and nicely correct onlookers who told
me the following.

Pantera's originally had Chevy engines,  my dad owned a 1967 model cause he
picked it over a Cobra cause my Mom wanted a hard top, it was made by
Ferrari but used a Ford Engine, Was it a Delorean that had been painted, I
didn't know they made 335/35/17 tires back then, and my favorite one, Where
do you put your groceries when you go shopping ( and keep in mind that here
in the south, we shop once or twice a month, lots of bags).

I also think it's important that we answer questions without laughing at
people (although it's hard sometimes) and be extra nice, I have a friend who
attended a show in the last two months in a western state (not saying where)
and he owns a Conptemporary Cobra with a nice built 351W and a 1969 Mustang
Mach 1 with a 351W that is 1 of 2 (according to Martini) in it's combination
and unusual color Aztec Aqua, it's top rated by the mustang club folks as
well, anyway, he also helped me sometimes with my car and knows something
about Panteras.  He said that he was looking at 2-3 Panteras at this show
and overheard the owners talking to people who asked questions and that they
were total *holes, as he said, pretending to be "all that" instead of being
nice and trying to educate people and inform them when they were mistaken.

We all know sometimes that people who come to shows, races, track days, have
issues, are seriously "wanna bes" but never will bes, but of them most
aren't anything but gear heads exactly like us...they just aren't there yet
or they were us years ago and now they have other interests.  I'm sure when
I first started going to shows in 1980 with my less than concours 1973 TR-6
(British Car Days at Tanglewood) that I didn't come off as anything but what
I was, a broke college student who liked his little red car, dressed like
bum and had dirty fingernails from working on the car myself.  To this day,
I can't stand Austin Healy 3000 people because one jerk was very rude to me
that day, a real Pr%^k who acted like he owned one of the 12 lightweight
XKE's or a D type Jag.

My point is that we need to be the best PR spokespeople that we can be to
ensure that there is always a market for our cars and that demand will
always exist because anytime that a future owner might come in contact with
one of us that it always will be a positive experience.  My car is a 1971,
38 years old and looks as good today (to me) as it did the day it rolled out
of Modena, it's damn sure faster, handles better and rides more
comfortably.  I am also cognizant that I may own it NOW, but in the big
picture I am just its' caretaker, even if I keep it until I die (as I have
plans to do) and as many on the list have done (I know that my late friend
Wayne Steven's car still sits in his garage and is driven sometimes by his
wife), that will not always be the case.

I hope that #1660 is always cherished and maintained as I have done, as
Clark did before me and all the X owners since it was new.  The same thing
that I think about when I see really older cool cars like 810/812 Cords,
Model J Duesnbergs, MB Gullwing 300SL's and wonder about all the people in
that car's history.

Only we can make that happen.

Michael Shortt