[DeTomaso] Springs

Göran Malmberg hemipanter at hemipanter.se
Sun Oct 18 13:36:03 EDT 2009

Pantera has aggressive camber compensation, especially if it is
lowered. If we assume that the lower A-arm is parallel to the
ground, so with a further lower car (or more roll) the upper
A-arm will get to much angle and we therefore require a bit
harder springs. But we gain back a little grip through the
lower center of gravity. By making the car lower we will also
lower the rollcenter, which may make a bit more swaybars
necessary. Now I have not talked about the car's balance, which
is a separate issue.
Another thing with the Pantera is that it has a lot scrub both
front and rear. If the car is made lower the upper A-arm will
get an aggressiv angle that produce a very short instant centre.
The Ic/scrub distance leverage lessen the spring wheelrate so a
lower car will get a reduced motion ratio, thereby needing more
spring constant for the same wheelrate.

Tricky and compelx stuff here, but dont get alarmed, just look at
it as a guidlene for making a decision in the right direction.
Goran