[DeTomaso] Springs

Dick Koch arkoch at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 16 08:31:24 EDT 2009

I would like to get input from the forum brain trust before I upgrade
the stock springs on my Pantera.

Comments would be appreciated on ride, handling, structural
implications, and modifications that one would suggest by going to a
stiffer spring.

The car is used primarily on the street with occasional track time (once
or twice a year).

I have 245/17 tires on front, 335/17s on the rear, with a stock front
sway bar and a 1" aftermarket rear sway bar.

It has the original inherent problem with understeer.

I use Magneshock shocks which I can adjust to whatever setting I want
for rebound/compression.  To reduce understeer on the track, the rear
shock had to be set high on both rebound/compression (dialed in at
Pahrump a few years ago for current suspension setup).  On the street,
the shocks are set for a much less "rigid" ride.

I have replaced the rear cross member brace with an adjustable one that
locks in the rear suspension at the stock position.  Other than that, I
have not added any chassis bracing and to date have had no problems with
body stress cracks, except the usual one on the corner of the outside
lower rear tail lights.

The stock springs I have on the car are 315 lbs/inch front, 445 lbs/inch
on the rears.

I am looking at replacing them with 550 lbs/inch front, 600 lbs/inch
rear, which as I remember some folks have said they used on their car.

SoBills database documents 400-450 fronts, 600 rears.

Suggestions and comments would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Dick Koch - Atlanta