[DeTomaso] Passing emissions - or anyone got a carb for me?

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Oct 15 14:05:13 EDT 2009

In a message dated 10/15/09 10:47:57 AM, davel at emspace.com writes:

> I've been thinking of adding 5% methanol to that (10% gasohol), but I'm
> running so lean already that it's a bit scary.

One of my friends with a dyno shop says that leaning out the mixture 'by
eye' is semi-dangerous 'cause when it gets too lean, you get a misfire and HC
emissions skyrocket. And the line between 'lean enough' and 'too lean' is
very fine.... He says HC emissions come almost equally from misfires and oil
going by worn rings. Also, gasohol has a slightly thicker viscosity than
straight gasoline so it doesn't pass thru jets at the same rate, thus leaning
out the mixture even more. Be sure to test the engine on the gasohol mix OFF
the Smog machine before going in for the State Tests. FWIW- J Deryke