[DeTomaso] Fiberglass or carbon race Pantera roof ?

Göran Malmberg hemipanter at hemipanter.se
Thu Oct 15 04:37:23 EDT 2009

If we would just like to accelerate, it's HP counter weight that is
critical, but if we also want to turn, so are high placed weight bad.
So the roof, windshield, rear window, engine hood and rear wing are
things that must be made lighter. One example, we build the rear hood
of carbon fiber, so give the same effect as a lowering of the engine
3". I can imagine that if we replace the roof to one of carbon fiber
so it gives the same effect as a lowering of the engine with 5/8". Or
we can say that 9p less weight is tranferd from inside to outside
wheels at 1G cornering power.
One of the big problems is to make a good assessment of what is
important, we do have limited resources of money and time, and that
there are rules in all racing, and it comes to finding a middle ground
that gives the best results. Myself I think it is very useful to
be able to test and adjust the aerodynamics on the track, something
that few of the smaller teams does. This is a job that takes as much
time as to build the whole car, something you rarely plan in during
the initial construction period of the car. The first time out the
car is nothing but a piece of "raw material".
Goran