[DeTomaso] Fiberglass or carbon race Pantera roof ?

michael@michaelshortt.com michaelsavga at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 15:23:20 EDT 2009

Thanks for responding, I agree that by the time that you add structure and
fastening hardward, etc. that the total weight savings won't be worth the
expense.
It would be easier to make the additional 2 hp than to save the 5-10 lb
difference, and again, I'm no math wizard, but if a 3100 lb car made 450 hp,
that's 6.88 lbs per 1 hp.
If you save even 20 lbs, that's only 3 hp.  The time, money and sweat equity
to save 20lbs would be far more expensive than the few bucks to add the 3
hp.
The Bugatti Veyron weighs 4,162 lbs.  There are two schools of thought here,
The Colin Chapman way of removing washers if he didn't think they were
absolutely
needed to save weight and running a lot less powerful engine or
building a nice solid, stiff, safe car with lots of horsepower.

I vote for safety and more ponies.

Michael Shortt