[DeTomaso] Fix it while I take your car... (NPC)

thells thells at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 14 11:25:20 EDT 2009

I had a similar issue on September 14, 2001. I was stuck in NJ trying to get home to California after 9/11, and fortunately had a brand new Grand Marquis from Hertz with 1100 miles to do it in.

I decided to drive from NJ back home, and it was raining steadily as I started out that Friday. I got about 5 miles into the trip when I went through a large puddle (ironically on River Street in Hackensack) and the dash suddenly lit up like a Christmas tree and the temp gauge started climbing.

I pulled over and saw it had thrown the serpentine belt, Hertz quickly sent a flatbed and as we drove back the way I had came towards their shop I saw the belt lying in the road just past the puddle. They gave me another new Grand Marquis and I was finally on my way. Fortunately this one made it the 3100 miles home in 4 days with no further issues.

What is it with serpentine belts and puddles?

Dan