[DeTomaso] NPC- Max acceleration

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Oct 13 15:49:25 EDT 2009

I got out of drag racing a LOOONG time ago, and the team I worked with
never used fuel, only gasoline- which was bad enough. But here's a few thoughts:
1- no dynomometer outside of General Electric's Navy shipyards will
actually measure an engine making over about 1200 bhp. All others are 'estimated'.
At one dyno test in Northern CA, a big-block Chev engine was run up to only
3000 rpms/450 bhp (the dyno's limit) and the software "calculated" the peak
power at higher rpms.
2- Fueler builders use aluminum rods because the RODS compress or shorten
in length under very high loads, acting like shock absorbers and allowing the
combination to survive one pass (usually). Steel rods simply won't work in
a fueler- they're too stiff and things like crankshafts then break early.
Titanium rods not only compress like aluminum, they stretch at high rpms,
increasing the compression and power on the top end. They were known as "rubber
rods". Unfortunately, they also cost 6-8X that of an aluminum rod and still
wouldn't reliably make 2 complete passes before shattering from the
work-hardening.
3- the blocks have no water jackets because the time of running is so short
and because the cylinder walls 'balloon' during running from the pressure.
The liners need block support to minimize this. Even with solid aluminum
blocks, steel 1/2" wall cylinder liners swell during running, which is why
rings and pistons only last 1.0 run (usually), and oil pan explosions from
unburned nitro blown past the rings cause many of those spectacular top-end
flamers.
4- I have a famous shot of an early   Fuel Altered actually running over
his own crankshaft, when the stock-block 392 Hemi split horizontally and blew
the entire reciprocating assembly down onto the track. This may be where the
old saying -'tripping over your own crank'- comes from.
5- And when things go right for once and the thing actually completes a
full pass, you gotta stop it. What forced champion fuel-driver Joe Amato to
retire a decade ago was not exactly age; he developed separated retinas in both
eyes from the constant shock of the parachute openings! Climbing out of a
Fueler totally blind has a way of getting your attention.... Doctors have a
few ways of repairing such damage (one is laser spot-welding inside your
eyeball!) but no guarantees on future fixes, so he signed off. It's possible
that human endurance, not engine technology will be the limiting factor in drag
racing.
Glad I'm gone and my friends all survived- J Deryke