[DeTomaso] Authentic versus non-authentic

Kirby Schrader kirby.schrader at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 11:54:28 EDT 2009

Asa Jay,

Factory Five doesn't make a GT40 to the best of my knowledge. They
call it a GTM Supercar. From what I've read, they started to make a
GT40 and then became embroiled in the licensing issue, decided it
wasn't worth it and made the GTM instead..

To me, if you are looking for a 'real' GT40, then the Superformance
models are continuation serial numbers. The real deal, in my opinion.
They made no attempt to 'fix' any issues with the cars as they were
built other than A/C and Wilwood brakes (major changes).

CAV, RCR, ERA and others have changed/improved on the original design
in many ways. You do your research and make your choice.

The market for GT40 'post historics' (as we were called at Road
America) seems to be pretty soft... An on the road, new and complete
SPF GT40 MkII was sold recently for $70K! That's a steal! In fact, it
was in your neck of the woods. It now resides in Iowa.

FWIW,
Kirby
http://web.mac.com/kirbyschrader