[DeTomaso] DeTomaso Digest, Vol 63, Issue 8- Vins

boyd casey boyd411 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 00:36:13 EDT 2009

I don't think the issue is where the vin# is or was or if a car is modified
or stock . The issue is if you are buying a replica ( like for instance a
Kirkham cobra replica  which happens to be a beautiful car and may be
mechanically  superior to the original cobra) if you are getting  a Kirkham
replica which can easily sell for $100,000 + you don't want to be told or
believe or PAY FOR a real original authentic AC Cobra (which can sell for
$500,000.00) There is nothing wrong with replicas in cars, reproductions of
art works, fake rolexes. anything so long as you know what you are actually
getting and the owner of the trademark or copy right are getting their due
and they or their products image are not being damaged and the customer
knows they are buying a replica.It's allot simpler when the product being
copied is no longer being made because then the trademark owner or copyright
holder is not being denied income or having the value of their products
diminished like when someone buys a knock off Louis Vitton or a fake Rolex.
Since their products are still in current production they are being robbed
of their license fees and their product image is damaged by the fact that
most bootleg copies have much lower quality and the flawed copies damage the
image of the original items. When your are getting a replica of a vehicle
that is no longer in production the manufacturer is not losing a sale and in
many cases it gives the buyer a chance to obtain a reasonable facsimile of
the original that under normal circumstances they never would have had the
opportunity to own. Most sellers of Replicas are forthright about the fact
that they are in fact selling a reproduction and are not trying to rip any
one off. It is the exceptions to these conditions that I object to. People
selling counterfeits ( copies that are neither the same quality or value as
the original and are misrepresented to pass for the real deal.are the
problem. Most people are unaware of  the fact that just about any product
out there can and is being bootlegged in China. Some are relatively harmless
like Big Bertha golf clubs or sneakers , or hand bags. But the real problem
and danger lies in products like Pharmaceuticals which are sometimes weak
copies that at least contain  some quantity of the actual formula ( although
the quality , purity and dosage may be wrong they may still supply some of
the desired effect. Most of the bootleg Pharmaceuticals are totally inert.
The are substituted for medications and vaccines that are critically
important and their sale and use results in the  sickness and sometimes
death of the recipient. In the case of counterfeit vaccines not only do the
recipients suffer by not being immunised against the illness they sought to
be inoculated from but the countless others who catch the illness because
they were infected by people who thought they were inoculated and weren't
and they inadvertently spread the disease to hundreds or thousands of
additional victims. There are also numerous cases of people trafficking in
counterfeit aircraft parts that do not meet the engineering standards they
are supposed to and can result in a failure that causes a plane to crash and
puts the lives of hundreds of people at risk in every plane they are
installed in. The same holds true for air bags or any other high dollar item
that someone sees an opportunity to make a profit on by making a cheaper
version and someone willing to buy it in order to save a few bucks. They
don't think about the lives they put at risk.
Boyd